Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year

I love the holiday season, for reals. I could go on and on about why I love it, but I'm sure you all would rather not read my nostalgic musings about hot cocoa, snow, and Christmas movies.

One thing I adore about the winter, though, is the excuse to wear glitter nail polish. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I feel like I can only get away with straight-up glitter in the winter. Maybe it's the frigid sunbeams glinting off the snow? I don't know, and I don't care. I love me some glitter.

Here is a nail design I did that involves my love of glitter and all things holiday. The first step is to apply a base coat. I used Sally Hansen's Insta-Grip Fast Dry Base Coat. Once that dried, I painted on Funky Fingers polish in Wonderland. I could have gotten away with three coats for full opacity, but I put on a fourth coat, just for good measure.

I applied Poshe's quick-dry top coat, and once that was dry (about 5 to 10 minutes), I started my design. I kept the design to just the ring fingers and thumbs, because I feel that it's more unexpected. I like having the design on my ring fingers because, as a somewhat-newly engaged gal I'm always flashing the bling. I thought I'd change things up and put the design on my thumbs, too, because I can stare at it while I text/Tweet/Facebook/whatever. Feel free to put the design on all (or some) of your nails -- it's up to you!

To start, take a dark green polish (I used a couple of coats of Funky Fingers polish in Blitzen, because it was the only green I had) and a fine-tipped paintbrush. Use the brush to paint two holly leaves on your nail, making sure that the base of the leaves meet.

One you've done that, take another fine-tipped paintbrush or a dotting tool, and apply one dot of red nail polish to the join of the holly leaves. I used ORLY's Monroe's Red.

Apply a top coat, and you're done!


...Unless you're like me, and studying for finals, and want an excuse for a longer study break. If that's the case, you can do what I did. Use Milani's holographic polish in 3D and another fine-tipped brush to paint a bell on your thumbnails. Outline the bell with a black striper to ensure that the gold stands out against the silver.

NOW, you're finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment